The sun is also good for you
- Essential for you health – we all need the sun for the production of certain vital nutrients. We get about 90 to 95 per cent of our Vitamin D from the sun. Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones and a good immune system.
- Cheers you up and positively influences your mood through the production of serotonin – the body’s natural happy hormone.
- Fights the “winter blues” – lack of sunlight is thought to be the major factor in a depression which occurs in the darker months, known as seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
- Boosts fertility – the sun reduces levels of the hormone melatonin which suppresses fertility, so it is more likely you’ll conceive in summer.
- Helps you lose weight – higher levels of serotonin actually reduce the appetite meaning you eat less in warmer weather.